I’ve really been focusing a lot on improving my prayer life lately – it’s definitely one of my main goals for this year. I’ve been reading some great books, including Prayer Primer, by Fr. Thomas Dubay, and I’ve been coming across some great words of wisdom about what prayer is and what it does for us. I thought I’d share!
1. “The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.” -Soren Kirkegaard
2. “The best thing each of us can do for those we love is to become a saint, a man or woman of deep prayer.” -Thomas Dubay, S.M.
3. “To pray well one must live well.” -St. Augustine
4. “I used to believe that prayer changes things, but now I know that prayer changes us, and we change things.” -Mother Teresa
5. “Prayer is a mother who conceives and nourishes all virtues.” -St. Catherine of Siena
6. “Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive.” -Matthew 21:22
7. “A soul which gives itself to prayer, either much or little, should on no account be kept within narrow bounds.” -St. Teresa of Avila
8. “Don’t pray when you feel like it. Have an appointment with the Lord and keep it. A man is powerful on his knees.” -Corrie Ten Boom
9. “Prayer is not an old woman’s idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.” -Mahatma Gandhi
10. “If you ever want to be holy, to know God, to live His will, then the number one thing that you are going to have to do is pray. PERIOD! Nothing else matters.” -Fr. Larry Richards
Do you have a favorite quote about prayer? If so, please share below!